Hello Folks, I have just started to review a book “Least Privilege Security for Windows 7, Vista, and XP” written by Russel Smith. Windows OS Engineering and Application Platforms have always fascinated me ever since I started Packaging applications. I hope this book gives me lots of information, which I can further share it with you all..!
- Overview of Least Privilege Security in Microsoft Windows Operating System. and how to Solve Least Privilege Problems with the Application Compatibility Toolkit.
- Detailed explanation on User Account Control (UAC) covering various concepts like Access Token Model, Elevation Prompt Security, Configuring UAC through Group Policy etc.
- Software Distribution using Group Policy and Windows Installer.
- Managing Internet Explorer Add-ons and Best Practices on Deploying Commonly used ActiveX Controls. If you don’t know what this is, you can visit www.activextest.com.
- Supporting Users Running with Least-Privilege, Deploying Software Restriction Policies and AppLocker, Preparing Vista and Windows 7 for Least Privilege Security.
- Provisioning Applications on Secure Desktops with Remote Desktop Services, Balancing Flexibility and Security with Application Virtualization and Deploying XP Mode VMs with MED-V.
I shall post a detailed review of this book soon. Until then, you can read this free chapter, Chapter No. 3 – Solving Least privilege Problems with the Application Compatibility Toolkit and let me know your comments / reviews.
You can also Order the book Online here from PACKT Publishing