Here are a few tips I picked up from Microsoft about how to “color inside the lines” when using any tool (including Wise Package Studio) to create an MSI.
- Match components in previous versions of the MSI:
Key path resource matches a resource in previous .MSI list
Match component layout of previous .MSI
Set component key to match previous version.
- Add all executable files to their own components
- Create new component for the resource
- Add all .TLB files to their own components
- Group matching .HLP and .CNT files together
- Group matching .CHM and .CHI files together
- Put registry keys associated with files or components in matching components.
- Put current user registry keys in their own component
- Put non-current user registry keys in their own component.
- Group all non-executable files to their own component
- Name new non-advertised shortcuts by destination directory.
- Group non-key path resources by resource type
- Create new components for resources not matching other criteria.
- Set component key to table name of key path or the first resource.
Hope these little guidelines helps!